FIJIANFijian HistoryHISTORY
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
“Band rotunda, Thurston Gardens, 1920s”, Wishart Ryan, Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/23
Thurston Gardens

Thurston Gardens was originally named Suva Botanical Gardens. It was built in 1913 on the site of the original village of Suva and it's name was later changed in honour of Sir John Bates Thurston, the fifth Governor of Fiji.

“Great Council of Chiefs, Waikava”. Senior members of the Great Council of Chiefs with Cakobau seated at the top of the ramp above his brother Ratu Josefa Celua. The chief to his left, wearing a white masi turban is likely Musudroka, the Vunivalu of Rewa. Waikava, Vanua Levu, Fiji. Possibly photographed by F. Dufty, December 1876. P.99842.VH Source: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-great-council-of-chiefs-p-99842-vh/
Great Council of Chiefs

The Bose Levu Vakaturaga was a formal gathering of Fiji's indigenous (iTaukei) chiefs. It was established by the British Colonial Government in 1875 as an advisory body and named the Council of Chiefs (the term “Great” was added sometime later in the twentieth century). The complex at Draiba was completed in 2009 for Council meetings but was destroyed by fire ten years later. The North and South wings of the complex house the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs, Ministry of Lands and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“CWM Hospital 1923”, Source: Fiji Museum P19.1/14
Colonial War Memorial Hospital

This hospital was opened in 1923 in memory of the Fiji veterans who served in World War I. It is also the site of the oldest medical school in the Pacific Islands. It is still in use today as the main hospital for the greater Suva area. 

“6-inch naval gun and bunker” Source: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612490-d3240252-Reviews-Momi_Bay_Battery_Historic_Park-Denarau_Island_Viti_Levu.html?m=19905
Momi Bay Battery Historical Park

Momi Bay Historical Park contains several gun emplacements which were used during World War II to defend against possible attacks to the mainland of Viti Levu.

“Tarua & Beverely, n.d.” Source: Nicholas Rollings
Royal Suva Yacht Club

The current Royal Suva Yacht Club was built in 1948 at Walu Bay. It is believed to have begun earlier (possibly the 1930s) in the heart of Suva city near the old wharf at Pier Street before the land was reclaimed. 

“Anglican Church Macarthur Street” c.1900s Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/28
Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral

The Anglican Church was first established in Levuka in 1870. It came under the administration of the Diocese of Polynesia which was created with the consecration of its first Bishop in 1908. The cathedral in Suva was constructed in several stages between the 1950s and 1970s.

“Nabutautau village” Source: Nicholas Halter 2018
Nabutautau Village, Navatusila

The village of Nabutautau is a remote village located in the head waters of the Sigatoka River in the district of Navatusila in the province of Nadroga/Navosa. Nabutautau is infamous in history as the place where Reverend Thomas Baker was killed, the only European missionary killed in Fiji on 21 July 1867 along with five i-Taukei teaching assistants. Beyond Baker’s death, relatively little is known about the village’s rich history.

“A small child, possibly the Governor’s son, Jack, seated on a pony with two Fijian attendants in front of Government House in Nasova, Ovalau Island, Fiji”. Source: collected by A. von Hügel, 1875-77, Museum of archaeology and anthropology, P.99680.VH, http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-government-house-p-99680-vh/
Government House

Government House was the residence of the British Colonial Governors of Fiji since 1892 and was rebuilt after a lightning strike in 1921. Today it is known as the Presidential Palace.

“The University opened its doors for classes on 5 February 1968” Source: 2018. Treasures of the Past – The Humble Beginnings of USP, https://www.usp.ac.fj/news/story.php?id=2826
The University of the South Pacific (Laucala Campus)

The University of the South Pacific was the first of its kind in the Pacific Islands when it was established in 1968. Laucala Campus was once a New Zealand Air Force base until the land and buildings were converted into USP's first campus. Since then the university has expanded to 12 member countries of which Laucala Campus is the largest campus in the region. 

  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
Attribution-NonCommercial

Website content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. All material used on this site retains the original Creative Commons Licences and can only be re-used under their respective licences. Note that corporate logos (such as the Fijian History logo) and images used in some collections and branding are specifically excluded from the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, and may not be reproduced under any circumstances without the express written permission of the copyright holders.

Fijian History © 2018 - The University of the South Pacific
About

This project was a collaborative effort by staff and students of The University of the South Pacific to document some of the historic sites of Fiji.

Download App

Download the app from Google Play Store and browse fijian stories even when offline

Get the app on Google Play
Contact
  • Email us