FIJIANFijian HistoryHISTORY
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
“Samoan Congregational Church, view from Thurston Street” (Source: Nicholas Halter 2020)
Samoan Congregational Church

The Samoan Congregational Church was constructed in 1988 and offers religious and pastoral support to the Samoan community in Fiji, including many Samoan students who come to Fiji to study at USP. Originally established by the London Missionary Society (LMS), the Samoan Congregational Church today is known by Samoans as the Ekalesia Fa’apotpotoga Kerisiano i Samoa (EFKS). The church has played an important role in safeguarding  the ethos of fa’a Samoa in Fiji, symbolized by its motto e lele le toloa, ae maau ile vai (meaning “the Toloa water-bird flies away yet always goes back to the water”.)

“Prospective Sketch by Mr Haus Turner? made while plans were in preparation”, c.1950s, Fiji Museum P23.1/14
Fiji Museum

The Fiji Museum was established in 1904 and has moved several times over the last century. It has been situated in Thurston Gardens since the 1950s and contains artefacts up to 3700 years old.

“A small child, possibly the Governor’s son, Jack, seated on a pony with two Fijian attendants in front of Government House in Nasova, Ovalau Island, Fiji”. Source: collected by A. von Hügel, 1875-77, Museum of archaeology and anthropology, P.99680.VH, http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-government-house-p-99680-vh/
Government House

Government House was the residence of the British Colonial Governors of Fiji since 1892 and was rebuilt after a lightning strike in 1921. Today it is known as the Presidential Palace.

“Great Council of Chiefs, Waikava”. Senior members of the Great Council of Chiefs with Cakobau seated at the top of the ramp above his brother Ratu Josefa Celua. The chief to his left, wearing a white masi turban is likely Musudroka, the Vunivalu of Rewa. Waikava, Vanua Levu, Fiji. Possibly photographed by F. Dufty, December 1876. P.99842.VH Source: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-great-council-of-chiefs-p-99842-vh/
Great Council of Chiefs

The Bose Levu Vakaturaga was a formal gathering of Fiji's indigenous (iTaukei) chiefs. It was established by the British Colonial Government in 1875 as an advisory body and named the Council of Chiefs (the term “Great” was added sometime later in the twentieth century). The complex at Draiba was completed in 2009 for Council meetings but was destroyed by fire ten years later. The North and South wings of the complex house the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs, Ministry of Lands and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“Sacred Heart Cathedral, Pratt Street, building began 1894, completed in 1939” Source Nicholas Halter 2018
Architecture

Architecture in Suva is reflective of the many different influences over time. These include the indigenous itaukei people who first occupied the land, other Pacific Islander, Asian and Indian migrants who settled since the late 1800s, and government officials and traders who built large colonial dwellings in and around the town centre.

“Early Suva: Fijian market, Basil Thomson collection c1892” Source: Fiji Museum 1/2/6.13E/23
Suva Municipal Market

The market has been a vibrant meeting place for Suva residents and visitors to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, yaqona and traditional wares. The original Suva market was located near Pier Street, next to the Queen’s Wharf. It was moved to Cumming Street in the early 1900s until a new market was constructed at the present location between Harris Road and Rodwell Road in 1949.

An example of diagrams at the Nasonini Battery outlining how to use the defensive equipment, photographed in 2016 and partially defaced by graffiti (taken from Global Archaeology).
Nasonini Gun Battery

The gun battery now nestled within the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat’s main premises has deteriorated like its sister structure in Veiuto, with it also existing in less-than-ideal conditions. However, only one of its guns remains in it (broken up into pieces, unfortunately) and one of its three emplacements has been demolished so a residence for the High Commissioner of New Zealand could be built in its stead.

“CWM Hospital 1923”, Source: Fiji Museum P19.1/14
Colonial War Memorial Hospital

This hospital was opened in 1923 in memory of the Fiji veterans who served in World War I. It is also the site of the oldest medical school in the Pacific Islands. It is still in use today as the main hospital for the greater Suva area. 

“Landing of the Southern Cross at Albert Park, 1928”, Source: http://suvacity.org/albert-park /
Albert Park

Albert Park was constructed as a cricket ground in the 1880s on land that once belonged to the indigenous village of Suva. It has since hosted sporting events, national celebrations, visiting dignitaries, and was the site of the first airplane landing in Fiji in 1928.

  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
Attribution-NonCommercial

Website content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. All material used on this site retains the original Creative Commons Licences and can only be re-used under their respective licences. Note that corporate logos (such as the Fijian History logo) and images used in some collections and branding are specifically excluded from the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, and may not be reproduced under any circumstances without the express written permission of the copyright holders.

Fijian History © 2018 - The University of the South Pacific
About

This project was a collaborative effort by staff and students of The University of the South Pacific to document some of the historic sites of Fiji.

Download App

Download the app from Google Play Store and browse fijian stories even when offline

Get the app on Google Play
Contact
  • Email us