FIJIANFijian HistoryHISTORY
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
“Nabutautau village” Source: Nicholas Halter 2018
Nabutautau Village, Navatusila

The village of Nabutautau is a remote village located in the head waters of the Sigatoka River in the district of Navatusila in the province of Nadroga/Navosa. Nabutautau is infamous in history as the place where Reverend Thomas Baker was killed, the only European missionary killed in Fiji on 21 July 1867 along with five i-Taukei teaching assistants. Beyond Baker’s death, relatively little is known about the village’s rich history.

“Borron House overlooking the Waimanu Road area, around 1942” Source: Time Connections: A Quarterly Newsletter from the Friends of the Fiji Museum, 1996
Borron House

Borron House was once the home of a wealthy colonial planter family and is now used as a state guesthouse by the Government of Fiji to accommodate VIP guests.

“Wreck of the Syria Memorial, Nausori” Source: Nicholas Halter 2012
Wreck of the Syria Memorial, Nausori

The monument at Nausori was built in memory of people who died aboard the Indian immigrant ship Syria when it was wrecked on Nasilai reef in 1884. It was one of the worst maritime disasters in Fiji history - 59 people died in the tragedy.

“Great Council of Chiefs, Waikava”. Senior members of the Great Council of Chiefs with Cakobau seated at the top of the ramp above his brother Ratu Josefa Celua. The chief to his left, wearing a white masi turban is likely Musudroka, the Vunivalu of Rewa. Waikava, Vanua Levu, Fiji. Possibly photographed by F. Dufty, December 1876. P.99842.VH Source: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-great-council-of-chiefs-p-99842-vh/
Great Council of Chiefs

The Bose Levu Vakaturaga was a formal gathering of Fiji's indigenous (iTaukei) chiefs. It was established by the British Colonial Government in 1875 as an advisory body and named the Council of Chiefs (the term “Great” was added sometime later in the twentieth century). The complex at Draiba was completed in 2009 for Council meetings but was destroyed by fire ten years later. The North and South wings of the complex house the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs, Ministry of Lands and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“King’s Wharf Suva 1929” Source: Fiji Museum P32.7/10
King's Wharf

King’s wharf was constructed on reclaimed land during WWI to replace the smaller Queen’s wharf at Pier Street.

An example of diagrams at the Nasonini Battery outlining how to use the defensive equipment, photographed in 2016 and partially defaced by graffiti (taken from Global Archaeology).
Nasonini Gun Battery

The gun battery now nestled within the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat’s main premises has deteriorated like its sister structure in Veiuto, with it also existing in less-than-ideal conditions. However, only one of its guns remains in it (broken up into pieces, unfortunately) and one of its three emplacements has been demolished so a residence for the High Commissioner of New Zealand could be built in its stead.

"Laucala Bay Secondary School Classroom". Source Shivani, 1991, LAUCALAN magazine
Laucala Bay Secondary School

Laucala Bay Secondary began as a demonstration school for University of the South Pacific teacher trainees in 1972. Many Suva students will remember it as the site of the N.Z.U.E. Examinations. The school motto was “In Omnia Paratus” meaning “Be prepared for all things”. LBSS was closed in 2015.

"Parliament Complex in Veiuto, 2018” Source: http://fijivillage.com/news/Govt-allocates-5-million-for-renovation-of-Old-Parliament-Complex-in-Veiuto-s5rk92/
Parliament of Fiji

The Parliament complex at Veiuto was opened in 1992 with a traditional Fijian house design that included masi cloths, wooden furnishings and open-air corridors. Parliament was suspended following the 2006 coup and the building has remained unoccupied ever since. Parliament now meets in the government buildings near Albert Park. 

“Anglican Church Macarthur Street” c.1900s Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/28
Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral

The Anglican Church was first established in Levuka in 1870. It came under the administration of the Diocese of Polynesia which was created with the consecration of its first Bishop in 1908. The cathedral in Suva was constructed in several stages between the 1950s and 1970s.

  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
Attribution-NonCommercial

Website content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. All material used on this site retains the original Creative Commons Licences and can only be re-used under their respective licences. Note that corporate logos (such as the Fijian History logo) and images used in some collections and branding are specifically excluded from the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, and may not be reproduced under any circumstances without the express written permission of the copyright holders.

Fijian History © 2018 - The University of the South Pacific
About

This project was a collaborative effort by staff and students of The University of the South Pacific to document some of the historic sites of Fiji.

Download App

Download the app from Google Play Store and browse fijian stories even when offline

Get the app on Google Play
Contact
  • Email us