FIJIANFijian HistoryHISTORY
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
“Samoan Congregational Church, view from Thurston Street” (Source: Nicholas Halter 2020)
Samoan Congregational Church

The Samoan Congregational Church was constructed in 1988 and offers religious and pastoral support to the Samoan community in Fiji, including many Samoan students who come to Fiji to study at USP. Originally established by the London Missionary Society (LMS), the Samoan Congregational Church today is known by Samoans as the Ekalesia Fa’apotpotoga Kerisiano i Samoa (EFKS). The church has played an important role in safeguarding  the ethos of fa’a Samoa in Fiji, symbolized by its motto e lele le toloa, ae maau ile vai (meaning “the Toloa water-bird flies away yet always goes back to the water”.)

“Wreck of the Syria Memorial, Nausori” Source: Nicholas Halter 2012
Wreck of the Syria Memorial, Nausori

The monument at Nausori was built in memory of people who died aboard the Indian immigrant ship Syria when it was wrecked on Nasilai reef in 1884. It was one of the worst maritime disasters in Fiji history - 59 people died in the tragedy.

“Great Council of Chiefs, Waikava”. Senior members of the Great Council of Chiefs with Cakobau seated at the top of the ramp above his brother Ratu Josefa Celua. The chief to his left, wearing a white masi turban is likely Musudroka, the Vunivalu of Rewa. Waikava, Vanua Levu, Fiji. Possibly photographed by F. Dufty, December 1876. P.99842.VH Source: http://maa.cam.ac.uk/photo-great-council-of-chiefs-p-99842-vh/
Great Council of Chiefs

The Bose Levu Vakaturaga was a formal gathering of Fiji's indigenous (iTaukei) chiefs. It was established by the British Colonial Government in 1875 as an advisory body and named the Council of Chiefs (the term “Great” was added sometime later in the twentieth century). The complex at Draiba was completed in 2009 for Council meetings but was destroyed by fire ten years later. The North and South wings of the complex house the Ministry of iTaukei Affairs, Ministry of Lands and Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

“Band rotunda, Thurston Gardens, 1920s”, Wishart Ryan, Source: Fiji Museum P32.4/23
Thurston Gardens

Thurston Gardens was originally named Suva Botanical Gardens. It was built in 1913 on the site of the original village of Suva and it's name was later changed in honour of Sir John Bates Thurston, the fifth Governor of Fiji.

"Entrance sign Tavuni Hill Fort" Source: Nicholas Halter 2018
Tavuni Hill Fort, Sigatoka

The Tavuni Hill Fortification overlooks the Sigatoka River from a 90m high limestone ridge. It was constructed by a clan of Tongans who arrived in the early 1800s.

“Suva Prison, 1946” Source: Bart van Aller, Suva Gaol (Suva, National Trust of Fiji 2015).
Suva Prison

The Suva Prison is the major receiving centre in Fiji. Established at Korovou soon after the capital moved to Suva, the prison has housed men, women and juvenile prisoners at various times in its history. The complex includes Fiji’s first ferro-concrete building and a gallows where executions took place until 1964. Prisoners have maintained the nearby Suva cemetery since the prison was opened.

An example of diagrams at the Nasonini Battery outlining how to use the defensive equipment, photographed in 2016 and partially defaced by graffiti (taken from Global Archaeology).
Nasonini Gun Battery

The gun battery now nestled within the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat’s main premises has deteriorated like its sister structure in Veiuto, with it also existing in less-than-ideal conditions. However, only one of its guns remains in it (broken up into pieces, unfortunately) and one of its three emplacements has been demolished so a residence for the High Commissioner of New Zealand could be built in its stead.

“Early Suva: Fijian market, Basil Thomson collection c1892” Source: Fiji Museum 1/2/6.13E/23
Suva Municipal Market

The market has been a vibrant meeting place for Suva residents and visitors to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, fish, yaqona and traditional wares. The original Suva market was located near Pier Street, next to the Queen’s Wharf. It was moved to Cumming Street in the early 1900s until a new market was constructed at the present location between Harris Road and Rodwell Road in 1949.

"Parliament Complex in Veiuto, 2018” Source: http://fijivillage.com/news/Govt-allocates-5-million-for-renovation-of-Old-Parliament-Complex-in-Veiuto-s5rk92/
Parliament of Fiji

The Parliament complex at Veiuto was opened in 1992 with a traditional Fijian house design that included masi cloths, wooden furnishings and open-air corridors. Parliament was suspended following the 2006 coup and the building has remained unoccupied ever since. Parliament now meets in the government buildings near Albert Park. 

  • ‹
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • ›
Attribution-NonCommercial

Website content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. All material used on this site retains the original Creative Commons Licences and can only be re-used under their respective licences. Note that corporate logos (such as the Fijian History logo) and images used in some collections and branding are specifically excluded from the Creative Commons Attribution Licence, and may not be reproduced under any circumstances without the express written permission of the copyright holders.

Fijian History © 2018 - The University of the South Pacific
About

This project was a collaborative effort by staff and students of The University of the South Pacific to document some of the historic sites of Fiji.

Download App

Download the app from Google Play Store and browse fijian stories even when offline

Get the app on Google Play
Contact
  • Email us